When hiring a contractor you should always use a guide to help you navigate this process successfully. We’ve put together a list to help you. We call it our Top 7 Tips for hiring contractors:
- Ask for a reference. If the contractor stands behind their work they should be happy to provide a past client so you can hear first-hand what you can expect. This can help give you the confidence that they can complete the job with quality and weed out those who may not have a good track record.
- If you are comparing proposals from more than one contractor, make sure it involves the same scope of work for each proposal. You want to compare “apples to apples”.
- Make sure your quotes are completely inclusive of the total project so you don’t have any surprises down the road.
- Get all promises, guarantees, and warranties in writing.
- Only enter into a contract with a contractor that is properly insured and licensed. Request Proof in writing so you can verify each.
- Only hire contractors that have a permanent address in case you ever need to have personal contact. You want someone who is established and been in business for a good period of time.
- Always pay by check or credit card and never pay with cash. You want to have a paper trail of payment to protect you. Be cautious of any contractors requesting cash. This is a major “red flag”!
We hope this short guide will help you. We want you to have a pleasant experience with your home improvement and hope this will assist you with any project whether you are replacing a roof or just hiring a landscaper.